Saturday, December 3, 2016

Following Your Heart


I have been an artist my entire life. Ever since I remember I've drawn. I made drawings of my pregnant mom when I was four. I made paper doll castles with my sister because we had just seen Queen Elizabeth's dollhouse in National Geographic Magazine. 

It had not occurred to me that this was my calling. That I was meant to do this. That every single cell in my body was programmed to be an artist. My Dad always told us to never be an artist (he was an artist). He said that we should go into business or real estate. Never be an artist. This was drilled into me. So I went to Law School. Two years in, I couldn't take it anymore and I dropped out. 

I had jobs throughout my life in which I would spend the day waiting for lunch and then the rest of the day waiting for 5 pm and the entire week waiting for Friday and the whole year waiting for my vacation. Those days were miserable. It was like being forced to eat something you hate everyday until you become numb. 



A few years ago I decided that I was going to follow my heart. I was like fuck it, I'm living in regret, what's worse than that? I'm going to follow my dream. I signed up to get my Bachelor Degree in Fine Arts. I was terrified. Excited but scared. This was the first time I was going to put myself first. My dream was becoming a reality. Fast forward to today. I finished my career and became a full time artist. Hours go by like minutes when I'm working. Weeks pass like a breeze and my heart is happy. Still terrified but amazingly joyful. Here's to following your heart. Doesn't matter how scary it is, it's worth it. Your soul will thank you. 



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Marybel. I miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. So very true! Cheers to following your heart. ❤️

    ReplyDelete